Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Whatup

Well, thanks a lot, Katie!!! :) I'm sitting here crying like a baby reading the book you made Dad for Father's Day. For those who haven't seen it, it's a beautiful album with photos and comments Katie wrote, in which she references traits or qualities my dad possesses, and explains what each has meant to her. Katie, it is wonderful. You are such a talented writer, and the photos and stories you included just fit perfectly!!! Here's my favorite part (you're writing about the importance of family for Dad---where'd you steal this from?!! hahahahaha): "His love and value for his family is what makes us who we are today. I feel strong enough to be curious, trusting enough to love, and happy enough to thrive, all because of my family". How eloquently put and how very true. We are, indeed, lucky to have the family we have, and also the friends we have added to our family.
You know what? I think this will be the blog where I steal other people's quotes and comment on them. I have never been too proud to steal others' quotes (ok, I give them credit, so it's not stealing). I used to sit in English and Creative Writing classes and hear the teacher talk about the importance of creating your own unique vision of something, and not relying on the words of others to fill in your papers. Well, I'm here to say that I'm NOT too proud to use some good quotes! After all, I think sometimes someone has already said whatever needs to be said at a given moment, and often they have said it better! So, here goes...some of my favorite quotes for you to ponder:

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can." - Edward Everett Hale

"Sing like no one can hear you. Dance like no one can see you (everyone knows I do this!--that's not part of the quote ;)). Love like you'll never get hurt." - modified Mark Twain quote (I've seen it written several different ways and this way is my favorite)

"True courage is like a kite; a contrary wind raises it higher" - John Petit-Senn

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne


"There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

(My cousin, Laurel, included these last two quotes in a beautiful photo album she made for me when I was diagnosed in '05. I brought it to the hospital, Laurel, and I love looking at it!!! :) The second quote was also included in yet another beautiful album that Catherine made me with messages from friends and family, and some of the following quotes are also from that album. Both albums are here, and I've really enjoyed looking over them, as have visitors. I have looked at them lots since you first gave them to me, and I am always touched by the effort and love you put into them. So I just want to say thank you again--they mean a lot, and they make me smile and laugh when I start feeling tired.)

"No matter where you sit in New York, you feel the vibrations of great times and tall deeds, of cheerful people and events and undertakings." - E.B. White (Just wishing I were sitting in NY at a Yankees game or at a sidewalk cafe people-watching...I will get back up there when this crap is over! And if I end up in Boston for the transplant, I'm really looking forward to being a Yankees fan in Red Sox territory. :) )

"Enjoy together those moments of life that are utterly simple." - Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. (they are indeed the best! We just don't always realize it 'til later. :) )

"I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean. When one door closes, I hope one more opens. Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance and when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance." - Lee Ann Womack (because sometimes song lyrics say it best! ;) )

"Shoot for the moon and if you miss you will still be among the stars." - Les Brown

"The world is before you, and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Sorry if you guys are getting sick of these quotes---I'm really on a roll here!!!!! :) hahahaha OK, just two more things. The first one is one of my very favorite poems, and the second one is actually from my flower shop days. We often got interesting cards, but this one stuck with me, and makes me laugh every time I think about it. I wish I knew more about the story!!

"Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is not." - Henry Van Dyke (I've seen slightly altered versions of this, but again, this one is my favorite.)

"We apologize for your extended elevator entrapment." - unkown flower sender :) (makes you wonder what happened, right?!!! I should have called the recipient and asked for some more details!)

I lied...here are a couple more I just have to add! Classics. :) You know what, if you're sick of reading them, you can just click off the blog now! =) These quotes all make me smile---they either rev me up so I feel like I'm strong and can face anything, or they make me reflective so I better understand the big picture.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." - Ralph Waldo Emerson


"I have learned that to be with those I like is enough." - Walt Whitman

"Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you." - Walt Whitman


"Life is short, and the world is wide." - Simon Raven (and I definitely plan on doing some traveling once this crap is over!!---oh, and once I find a job and make some money to pay for it!!--Ireland is at the top of the list, then Hawaii) And finally, one of my favorites---it can be either superdeep or really silly, depending on how you choose to read it :) : "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Well, that's it for "Julie's favorite quotes!" Katie, thanks for inspiring me to write this blog! It is a really special album, and I know Dad was very touched.
I know, you're probably thinking "Is she STILL writing?!" :) You want an update on my day, don't you? So here it is: I've done 8 laps so far. I've been disconnected from my pole buddy for half the day because my nurse said I was receiving fluids at a low rate, and I'm able to drink liquids. I feel weird sitting here without anything hooked up to me; kind of feel like I should be at home. I mean, I know my counts are low, but they were this low when I did my consolidation chemos (the chemos you do following your induction, or first, chemo for leukemia) and I was at home. I just went back and forth to the doctor every day. I know they need to keep an eye on me, and that I'll need more platelets and blood, but part of me is thinking "Get me outta here!" The only good thing about being here is that it's a central location, so it's more convenient for my visitors, and I definitely want the visits to keep comin'!!! You guys keep me going. Anyhoo, I'm here and that's how it is, so I'll just be patient a little longer!! Oh! I know the good news! I have .1 neutrophils today!!! Woohoo!!! Things are looking up! I'll do some more visualization and some more Wii ski jumping and I'm sure they will be up in no time.
OK, the superlengthy blog entry is now coming to an end...no tears, please. I'll be back. :) Anyone have any favorite quotes to share?




4 comments:

lomester said...

i hope you daannnnceee.... i hope you DANCE!

(darn it - now i have that song in my head)

One of my favorite ones is "Life is what happens when you are making other plans" i think it's John Lennon. It was in a little school agenda I bought my first year of college ( a long time ago). It reminds you not to worry too much about the future, and just enjoy the present -doesn't it?

(and that is why i read julies blog all day instead of working - cause why worry if i am going to be fired tomorrow ? :)

Kristi said...

Hey, doesn't that make you like superhuman or something? I thought your doctor said that it was physically impossible for your neutrophils to come up before day 21....and yet here there are...poking through...day 19. I always knew you had special powers! Talk to you soon. --K

Katie said...

Some of my favorites (Although you have most of them up already):

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful." Mae West

"Paradise is where I am." Voltaire

"A friend who is far away is sometimes much nearer than one who is at hand. Is not the mountain far more awe-inspiring and more clearly visible to one passing through the valley than to those who inhabit the mountain?" Gibran (Although I LOOOVE anything he wrote)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world". Gandhi (now printed on magnets at Hallmark, etc.) :o)

"Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hands of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow."(Gibran again, this is used in weddings all the time and i love it)

"Why do we kill people who kill people to teach people that killing people is wrong?"
haha, just kidding. wanted to throw that one in there.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." MLK (he's like Gibran and has about 23230923 amazing quotes)

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie! I have a few quotes to add to your list:

"Women are like tea bags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water" (I think Eleanor Roosevelt- she was one smart cookie!)

"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle...I just wish s/he wouldn't trust me so much!" Mother Teresa...I love both of these quotes...Mother Teresa's quote popped into my head when I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer the second time. This qoute was very comforting and reinforced the fact that I was not alone in my fight.
hugs,
bren