Thursday, August 2, 2007

Only One Month Away!




August 2nd, only one month away (to the day) from my race!! Thanks for rooting for me, everyone!! Today was an excellent training day. I started off with a visit to Chuck who has really helped me get back into shape following leukemia--we meet twice a week and work on strength training, and I have improved a lot since I first started lifting again (if I do say so myself!--I hope Chuck agrees!!). He makes it fun so working out is something I look forward to, and he encourages me so it's something that I now know I can do! Thanks, Chuck!!! You have to look really hard, but maybe you'll see some muscle tone in my arms. :) Yah, I know, you have to have supersonic vision...my legs are much stronger, but I'm working on it!!
To end my day, I walked around Burke Lake again. I was only supposed to do 3 1/2 miles today (Burke Lake is 4 1/2), but I just couldn't bear the idea of walking somewhere that wasn't shaded (i.e. most of my neighborhood). The photos are from yesterday, when Laura joined me on the trails.
I must say that bikers and yes, some runners, are really starting to irritate me now. So many bikers hog the whole trail and force you onto the side--this is especially annoying when they're speeding and they come from out of nowhere! As for runners, well, the only thing I can think is that they have the mindset that running trumps walking (even if I'm being superspeedy!!) so even if there are only two of them side by side, they decide it's necessary to monopolize the ENTIRE trail, forcing myself (and Laura or whoever is with me) off to the side! Well, NOT ANY MORE!! I will stand my ground and force them to their side--maybe I'll even accidentally knock some of the bikers off to the ground (I always remember that funny scene from "Big Daddy" where Adam Sandler and the little boy throw sticks in the road at the park to watch people fall. :) ). OK, I probably won't do that, but I'm not budging!! Unless of course it appears to be an imminent collision--I'm not willing to injure myself just to prove a point!
Whew--I'm glad I got that off my chest...so if you happen to be one of these thoughtless, I'm-the-only-important-one-on-the-trail biker or runner, cut it out!!!! No one thinks you're cool.
Anywayyyyy, so tomorrow is a rest day and I'm looking forward to that!!! I wish the nasty weather would improve! I heard on the news today that on these code orange days, a typical adult loses up to 20% of his lung capacity! I can certainly feel it! No worries though--I'm constantly listening to cues from my body (as I think I will for the rest of my life!!!) and I drink Gatorade or water throughout the day. I always thought I hated Gatorade, but I have come to love the grape and fruit punch flavors, and I'm very thankful to whoever invented it...it really is the "thirst quencher". Now I just have to find an energy snack that doesn't taste like crap...I don't mind the Luna bars, and I've heard about some Jelly Bellies that are good! They require us to carry a snack now that our weekend mileage is long. Any recommendations anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

definitely the sport jelly beans -- you can get them at Target or any running store and they are delicious!