Monday, August 13, 2007

An Adventurous Day!



Well, today started out as any other Monday. I met with Chuck to do some weight training, and afterwards I treated myself to a Caribou coffee and one of their "mountain berry" muffins---they are deeeeelicious AND low-fat!!! Then I came home to do a couple things before running some errands. Jameson and Guinness were waiting by the window, tails a waggin', tongues leaving sloppy kisses on the glass. Jameson ran past me as I opened the door and headed straight for his ball. I threw him the ball and tossed the frisbee several times to Guinness, however Guinness gets easily sidetracked so he left to go sniff bushes, grass, poop and whatever else he could find. Jameson focused all his Border Collie energy on the ball.
We were deeply involved in our game when I heard Guinness make a strange sound (not a bad sound, just like he was very excited about something). I turned around and saw he was playing with what I thought was Bella, our cat...but alas it was not. It was a skunk. Well, I can't say I handled this very calmly. Guinness was face to face with the cute little guy and I figured if he hadn't already been sprayed, the danger of this happening was imminent. I yelled and Guinness ran toward me, excited to show me what he had found. That's strange, I didn't notice the smell yet so maybe I had a chance. I grabbed him and took him in the house and he did not smell!!! Woohoo!! I turned around to find that Jameson had shifted his focus from the ball.
He cornered the skunk against the house and they confronted each other face to face. I figured I would spend the rest of the day...and week, bathing Jameson with tomato juice, but instead of spraying, the skunk stuck his little head up and bit Jameson on the nose. Jameson cried and came inside and he did not smell!!! Man, was I lucky! I checked him for cuts and punctures and couldn't find anything. I spoke with someone at my vet's office and they said to just monitor him and make sure there's no broken skin or puncture wound. He's fine...a little shaken up by the skunk who kicked his butt, but OK. :)
So while the dogs were going crazy in the house running and barking, I decided to go back out to document our little visitor. Yah, maybe not smart, but I figured my luck would continue. And because of my bravery, you have the beautiful photo I have included (I also got a video, but I'm not sure how to put it on the blog). The skunk was pretty freakin' cute, but he just moseyed through our yard like he didn't have a care in the world...well, technically, I guess he waddled. I don't think they're the fastest creatures. When I followed him to the side of the yard, I came upon this beautiful deer, who promptly ran off as soon as "Flower" (isn't that the skunk's name in "Bambi"? :) ) waddled out of the bushes into the grass. He went into the woods and continued on his merry way. Will he come back for another visit? I'll let you know! Keep your fingers crossed that if he does, he doesn't decide to give us a more "scent"ual greeting!
As for my training, I feel like I am on track (no pun intended)!! I found out today that there are 61 people in my race. I think my fundraising last week will definitely kick that other person out of second place!! :)

No comments: