Saturday, August 11, 2007

So what did you all do this morning? I woke up at 4:15 and drove out
to Sterling to walk 10 miles! There was a bit of a rough stretch
about 2 miles into it, but the cramps only lasted about 1 1/2 miles--I
write "only" now, but then it felt like they lasted forever!! Finally
I was able to pick up my speed and make up some time. The 10 miles
took me a little over 3 hours which isn't great, but given my very
slow saunter in the middle of the walk, I was happy with myself! It
didn't feel like 10 miles. I think the trick is just adding a couple
more miles at a time. You start talking to people, and the mileage
just rolls by. When you think of it as 2 or 3 miles at a time, before
you know it, you've hit 7 or 8 miles, and you only have a couple to
go! And the cool thing about walking is that, no matter how fast
you're going, each foot you place in front of the other puts you
closer to your destination (hmm...that seems like something Yogi Berra
would say!). You're always moving forward, and anyone is capable of
doing it...that is what I took out of today's workout!!
I received an e-mail the other day from Team in Training listing the
amount that participants have raised for the fall season...this
includes all the races. The amount so far is $$837,465.79---isn't
that amazing? AND, even more exciting, they list the top three
fundraisers for each race, and I am #3 for the VA Beach 1/2 marathon!
This includes runners, walkers and run-walkers---I'm not sure how many
there are, but there are definitely more than 3. :) Following my
fundraising at Grevey's this past week, which went really well, and
donations I've received recently, I will go up to the number 2 top
fundraiser!! So, thank you everyone. I have exceeded my goal,
although this is not reflected on my website yet because everything
has to go through the accounting side at The Leukemia and Lymphoma
Society. So far, I have raised $5,786.75!

One final note: click here to check out my radio spot on WJFK (see my
blog from Friday, June 22). They sent me a copy recently and I wanted
to share it!

1 comment:

david santos said...

Thanks for your work and have a good weekend