Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hi there!
Good news...I now have .002 neutrophils now....slowly but surely, right?! I also got some platelets today, and Thursday I'm scheduled to receive more blood. Luckily, I was able to get into the infusion clinic so I won't have to make any late-night trips to the hospital. :) I did receive a call from my doctor tonight saying that I am growing some organism in my line (catheter)...they will make sure that the antibiotics/anti-virals/anti-fungals will cover whatever organism it is. That just sounds so gross, doesn't it--"growing an organism"? I feel like a petri dish or something. I'm feeling well, but I mentioned yesterday that my line was a little red around the exit site under my dressing, so they took some cultures just to be safe. They think the redness at the exit site (which is very minimal) is just normal healing for the skin, and there was really nothing to culture from that, but when they drew blood from my catheter, it started growing something....ewwwww...I mean, that just sounds disgusting. They take the blood and put it in a little bottle that "has all the ingredients that bacteria need to grow" (I stole that from some medical site), and wait to see what happens. I think I will know more tomorrow about what type of organism it is and whether or not they need to add another medicine. Think good thoughts because I want to get rid of whatever this is and make sure there's no problem going forward with the transplant.
Not too much else is going on. Ronnie and I took the dogs on a nice walk again today, and we're all relaxing now. I hope everyone is doing well! I'll write again soon. :)

3 comments:

Katie said...

It does sound gross when they put it like that!

Although probably not as gross as when the vet said Jameson was "simply expressing himself" :o)

Kristi said...

Hey girl! I am back from Argentina and around for a week or so before heading back to Cape Cod. Any time good for a visit? (assuming whatever you are 'growing' doesn't cause any problems with visitors?)

Laura said...

Ew. You ARE gross. ;) Now hurry up & get your moldy catheter issues under control...I'm doing my part to stay healthy and be ready for the transplant, the least you can do is reciprocate. Afterall, we both know I'm giving you...(drum roll, please)...THE GIFT OF LIFE. Do I seriously need to keep reminding you? :) Love ya, Laura