Sunday, June 24, 2007

Training at Dangerfield Island Marina

What a beautiful weekend it was! Yesterday I got up at 5 AM to meet my Team in Training walk team at Dangerfield Island Marina. We completed 6 miles and I was very proud of myself, although my hips were not too pleased...I know, I know, push past the pain, but hey--I had cancer so I take it easy if I feel like it! :) Yep, that's right, I'm continuing to play the cancer card. The way I figure, I can always use it for a little sympathy---even in 50 years...I can say "Remember when I had leukemia? That's right...you better be nice to me."
Anywayyyy, we walked along the Mount Vernon Trail and it was a wonderful start to the day. You definitely have to pay attention on that trail though---no letting your thoughts wander off or you could get sideswiped by an eager biker who declares "on your left" at a level that is barely audible, or a silent rider (the worst kind) who comes up at top speed, counting on the fact that you won't lose your center of balance and step even an inch in his direction. It definitely keeps you on your toes! (no pun intended). :) I admit that I did feel a little jealous of the superfit runners who sprinted past and probably think of 6 miles as a mere warm-up. I felt better though by telling myself that they probably weren't well-rounded or anything. They're probably obsessed with fitness and no fun to even talk to. :)
So maybe I'm not superspeedy, but it's still early!! I met some more people on my team yesterday which makes Saturday AM training more fun. We chat about how we heard about Team in Training (TNT), what event we are walking, tips for fundraising and unTNTrelated (yes, it's a word!) interests. I should have some photos to put up soon so you can see me in action---I'm so fast the photo is blurry...hahahaha
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! It sounds like your training is coming along splendidly. The race will be a breeze for you!

Susan